Get your Census on. Go heavy go with it. Get your Census on.
We are just days away from the launch of the 2020 Census and the City of Orem is doing our part to get the word out about this national undertaking of epic proportions. A talented Tiger Team of city employees is rolling out an inventive outreach campaign to get Orem residents pumped up about being counted.
Why is the Census important?
- National Representation – Population counts from the Census are used to reapportion seats in the U.S. House of Representatives. There will always be 435 reps but the split across the 50 states is all based on how the Census turns out. These changes will be made in time for the 2022 elections.
- Local Representation – Local officials use the Census data to help redraw congressional, state, and local district boundaries.
- Dollar Dollar Billz – The Census totals for states and cities will determine how much money they receive from the federal government for the next decade. There’s a real financial impact to cities from the Census.
- Planning – Data from the Census helps a wide range of governments, businesses, and nonprofits make decisions for new roads, hospitals, schools, and other critical investments.
- Emergency Response – In the wake of a disaster, first responders and emergency management administrators will use Census data to determine where and how much help is needed. This data is also critical to public health efforts to track the outbreak of disease, drugs, and improving people’s general health.
We hope you’ll join us at the Countdown to Census 2020 Party.